Cheerful! Stunning! Showstopper!
Yes, I am talking about the classic Rainbow Cake. I thoroughly enjoyed the whole process of making this cake. I absolutely loved slicing into it to see all those gorgeous colourful layers! The best part is, this cake isn’t just for looks, it tastes absolutely amazing. I made this cake in the month of June to celebrate PRIDE MONTH and to celebrate LOVE!
Cakes are meant to celebrate special occasions. It depends on us to make a moment an occasion. The vibrant colours used in rainbow tell us to be be vibrant in every phase of our life. The Rainbow cake can be beautiful medium of gleaning hope over the darker clouds of pandemic storms that will be blown away very soon. Give cheers to yourself and celebrate your true spirit of being optimistic in darker phase too with a piece of rainbow cake.
This vibrant six-tiered rainbow creation is a guaranteed showstopper. The delicious layers of moist, colourful sponge are sandwiched with lightly whipped buttercream frosting, making a super impressive and indulgent cake. Do try this recipe for special celebrations and share your experience with me.
- 6" Cake Tins-6
- Electric Beater
- Palette Knife
- Rotating Cake Table
- 300 gm Butter
- 300 gm Powdered Sugar
- 350 gm Refined Flour
- 4 Eggs
- 5 gm Baking Powder
- 10 ml Vanilla Essence
- Gel Colours – Red, Orange, Yellow, Green, Blue, Violet
- 200 gm Butter
- 300 gm Icing Sugar
- 100 ml Milk
- Beat butter and sugar using an electric whisk until its creamy.
- Add eggs one by one and keep whisking, at this stage you might feel that your batter is getting too wet but keep whisking till it achieves creamy texture.
- Add vanilla essence.
- Sieve in flour and baking powder into the wet mixture and mix using cut and fold method.
- Preheat oven at 180 degree Celsius.
- Divide batter into six equal portions, add food colors.
- Grease 6 inch cake tins, transfer the batter, give it a tap on the floor and place it in the oven for 20-25 minutes.
- Check with skewer if the cakes are cooked from inside. Once they are out of oven, let them cool down for an hour or you can make your sponges one day prior.
- Using an electric whisk, cream butter.
- Add in sugar gradually while whisking the butter.
- Whisk butter and sugar at high power till it reaches stiff peaks consistency.
- Add milk and start beating again for about 5 minutes, you will see a smooth and glossy cream and that’s your silky smooth buttercream frosting.
- Put some cream on the base and place violet sponge.
- Apply sugar syrup on the sponge, this is an optional stage. I don’t like to soak my cake with sugar syrup so I skipped this stage.
- Apply buttercream and repeat this process by following the VIBGYOR pattern.
- Cover the cake with buttercream and keep it in refrigerator for half an hour.
- Once it’s set, apply more buttercream and give it finishing touches by dipping palette knife in warm water. This will give a smooth texture to the cake.
- You can make floral designs using nozzles and sprinkle some rainbow sprinklers.Rainbow cake is ready!!