Bread — shaping it, baking it, blessing it and sharing it — is part of almost every Jewish holiday.
The bond among Jews, God and bread goes back to the first five books of the Bible: As the Israelites are about to end their exile, God commands them to show gratitude by setting aside a portion, or “challah,” of all the bread they make after entering the Holy Land.
But nowhere in Jewish scripture is it written that challah is a braided, sweet, yellow, deliciously squishy bread of the kind familiar to most American Jews, which comes from the rich tradition of Eastern European baking.
- 400 gm Refined Flour
- 10 gm Active Dry Yeast
- 15 gm Sugar
- 150 ml Water
- 50 gm Butter
- 10 gm Black Sesame Seeds
- 10 gm Poppy Seeds
- In a mixing bowl collect all the dry ingredients, mix them and add water.
- Knead a soft dough, make sure sugar granules are mixed in the dough completely.
- Once soft dough is ready, add butter to it and start kneading it again. Dough should be soft and gluttony.
- Keep the dough for first proofing, cover it with damped cloth in hot and dry place. Let it rest for 45 minutes.
- Once the dough is doubled it's original size, punch it and remove all the air.
- Divide the dough into three parts, roll long strings and combine them using braiding technique. Roll it into circular shape.
- Let the shaped bread rest for 30 minutes, for second proofing.
- Preheat oven at 210 degrees.
- Once second proofing is done, brush water and salt mixture on top of your bread and sprinkle sesame and poppy seeds.
- Bake your Challah for 20-25 minutes at 210 degrees.
- Once its baked, brush some oil on top of it and let it rest for about 2 hours.Enjoy!
I constantly emailed this webpage post page to all my friends, because if like to read it then my links will too. Romona Herby Benedikta
Congratulations Hillary 0 you must be feeling very happy and relieved to be moving on now. Suzie Benoit Deb
Great, thanks for sharing this article post. Really looking forward to read more. Fantastic. Lillis Callean Faus
Heya i am for the first time here. I came across this board and I find It really useful & it helped me out much. Junina Gabriel Zipnick
Muchos Gracias for your blog. Much thanks again. Awesome. Ethel Orion Lindeberg
Polls; what empty heads fill their brain with to avoid rational and logical thinking. Genia Chic Fawn
I conceive you have noted some very interesting points, thankyou for the post. Gretta Thaine Jenness
Hello there. I discovered your site by the use of Google even as looking for a comparable topic, your website came up. It looks good. I have bookmarked it in my google bookmarks to come back then. Charissa Port Latoyia
There is clearly a bunch to realize about this. I think you made various good points in features also. Muffin Michele Gentilis
I usdd to be able tto find good informatipn from your blog posts. Cilka Neddy Latta
I know this website presents quality based articles and other material, is there any other website which provides these stuff in quality? Isabella Nev Tull
Hey, tend to be not you too great? Your own writing widens my knowledge. Give thanks you. Edithe Adolph Dasi
This is my first time go to see at here and i am really impressed / to read all at alone place.