Pizza in any form is love made edible, so are Calzones!!
A calzone is fried or baked pizza dough turnover with a savoury filling. They are basically folded Italian bread stuffed with veggies and cheese, baked ones are more popular nowadays. Since once in a while I make Pizza, I also end up sometimes making calzone. In fact they are easy to prepare. So while the dough leavens, you prepare the stuffing which does not take much time. Assemble and then prepare the calzones.
You are free to use any type of vegetables that are seasonal and easily available in market for the stuffing. I used broccoli, baby corn, cherry tomatoes and button mushrooms. Mozzarella cheese is best for calzones as it helps in binding of the stuffing and also gives long strings. Try this wholesome, tasty recipe and tell me in comment section your experience.
- 500 gm Refined Flour
- 8 gm Active Dry Yeast
- 12 gm Sugar
- 8 gm Salt
- 200 ml Water
- 30 gm Soft Butter
- 100 gm Broccoli
- 50 gm Baby Corn
- 50 gm Cherry Tomatoes
- 50 gm Button Mushrooms
- 200 gm Mozzarella Cheese
- 20 gm Butter
- 4 cloves Garlic
- Salt For Seasoning
- Mixed Italian Herbs
- Knead a soft dough and let it rest for 30 minutes in a dry place. Cover the dough with damped muslin cloth.
- FOR STUFFINGAdd butter in a pan, saute garlic, add all the vegetables, saute them.Add salt, and Italian herb seasoning. Keep aside.
- After 30 minutes, punch the dough to release all the air, divide it into 8 equal parts.
- Preheat oven at 210 degrees for 10 minutes.
- Make a circle from dough of around 6" diameter, keep 2 tablespoons of stuffing and generous amount of cheese. Apply water on the edges and close to form a semi-circular calzone.
- Give an egg wash or milk wash to the calzones before baking. Bake them at 210 degrees for 25-30 minutes or till they turn golden brown from top.
- Brush them with butter after baking.Serve Hot!!
Looks very yummy, will surely try.